The Malta Gaming Authority or often referred to as the MGA, can often be found displaying their logo in the footer of an online casino. This is to show players that they hold a valid licence from this European regulator.
In this article I will explain more about the MGA so that you have a better understanding of what it is they do, and in the future if you see a casino review that features this regulator or see their logo at an online casino, you will know the meaning behind it.
the history behind MALTA GAMING AUTHORITY
When the rate of online gambling had begun gaining momentum quickly, Malta stepped up to act as a regulatory body regarding all gaming activities. It had been established in 2001 and the online gaming sector has only grown exponentially since then, with the industry now generating more than 12% of the country’ GDP.
The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) is the governing body that regulates all forms of gambling, online and land-based in the territory of Malta. According to reports, Malta is in the lead of the remote gaming industry and houses few of the world’s largest and most lucrative online gaming companies. After implementing the Lotteries and Other Games Act, Malta became the first country to legalize online gambling which helped it in establishing its position at the front of the industry, where it continues to stand strong today. This took a lot of hard work and dedication, which then lead them to change their logo and name in 2014 from LGA to MGA and it is now safe to assume that the MGA is the centre of the gambling industry in Malta and commands many decisions that hold an impact on the international market as well.
Moreover, Malta’s gaming protocols are well-structured and strict and the MGA takes pride in its ability to provide a fair, honest and open gaming ground for all. Their aim is to minimize and protect against crime and fraud, and look after minors and vulnerable players from the threats of online gaming. By promoting gaming in a safe and secure environment and granting license to providers, they allow gaming activities, remote or otherwise, to take place fluidly.
The country is also known to host one of the most celebrated online gaming industry events such as, the Summit of iGaming, Malta (SiGMA). It is an international conference consisting of the iGaming exclusives, with some reputable guest speakers and, masses of exhibitors showcasing their latest games and technology including those from LeoVegas, Ladbrokes, ComeOn! and more.
mga's roles & responsibilities
Initially, the Malta gaming authority attempts to successfully cover all authorized aspects of any and every operator while ensuring a deep and full understanding of the gaming legislative framework. Due to the ever-expanding gaming industry and the latest innovations of iGaming, MGA works to increase player interactivity and provide a safe and fair gaming environment, anywhere at any time. Below we have addressed the goals of Malta’s Gaming Authority that they aim to follow religiously.
– The protection of minors and vulnerable groups of people
– Ensuring the integrity of games and gaming devices
– Operate a successful and a fully integrated authority
– Promote responsible gaming in a safe environment
– Provide authoritative and accessible information
– Safeguarding of players’ rights, via proper investigation of complaints
– Keep gaming free from criminal activities by monitoring activities
– Consolidate all regulatory functions related to gaming activities
– Supporting the industry and technological innovations
– Providing a one-stop-shop for licensing
The MGA aims to set high behavioural standards in order to secure the interests of both the players and operators. They follow a “code of ethics” to simplify their decision making procedure when in a situation where player’s rights or values are involved.
The “Code of Ethics” consists of these main aspects:
· Responsibility - It is the duty of the MGA to ensure that all confidential and/or proprietary information of stakeholders are protected at all costs.
· Fairness - Rest assured that an essential part of this code is the ability to make unbiased decisions away from self-interest, prejudice, and favouritism.
· Honesty - MGA thrives to offer an environment that is free from any fraudulent or deceitful activities and deals strictly with anyone who fails to follow these rules.
· Professional Competence and Due Care - It is MGA’s responsibility to ensure that stakeholders receive the best possible service, due to which their employees hold a high standard of gaming knowledge and professional skill. They are well trained to attend to their every gaming-related query and demand.
The Malta Gaming Authority follows these rules devotedly and it is extremely strict regarding their players’ security and protection, which earns them a large amount of trust in the gaming industry.